To create a successful communication platform, a community management company must be devoted to building strong neighborhoods. It must be passionate about its business and focused on improving the lives of the people in its communities.
For example, a management company should work hard to enhance relationships between homeowners and boards, improve homeowner association (HOA) financial health, always look for ways to perform better, and continually maintain a reputation for integrity.
When a community management company has this level of dedication and performance, homeowner communication will undoubtedly be excellent.
Simple Guidelines for Good Communication
To communicate effectively with a community management company, homeowners should lay the proper groundwork. The following tips will help establish clear channels of communication and provide the proper perspectives for positive interactions:
- Probably the most important step in any communication process is to become well informed about the topic prior to speaking with the other party. Before communicating with your community management company, you should have a good understanding of your HOA’s governing documents, including your CCRs, bylaws and any other related paperwork.
These documents contain a wealth of information about how your HOA operates. Having this knowledge will help you communicate effectively about issues and intelligently ask questions about your HOA.
- Another tip to keep in mind is to get feedback from other members on issues, concerns or questions you might have. Hearing different perspectives is a good thing, especially if you don’t understand something. Remember – you should feel a sense of community within your HOA. So, getting clarification on policies, positions, decisions and other topics should be easy.
- One of the best ways to open the channels of communication with your community management company is to get involved with your HOA. Because you’ll be getting to know people individually, communicating will become easier. You’ll also learn more about the HOA and how things work.
Ways to Communicate with Your Community Management Company
Three main methods exist for communicating with your community management company. You can talk in person at an office or by attending a community meeting. Or, you can call the management company by phone.
The third way is through the community management company’s website. This method provides a simple and productive communication vehicle. For example, AAM launched its HomeownerResources.com online community in January 2013. The dynamic site delivers a wealth of information to homeowners and allows them to interact with their HOA board and management company from one convenient location.
The entire purpose of AAM’s website is to make life easier for homeowners in its communities. Although the website performs many functions, it primarily connects homeowners with their boards, allows them to submit online HOA services requests, enables them to communicate with AAM directly and lets them access a ton of useful information.
Some of the tools homeowners can use for communicating with the HOA board and/or community management company include:
- Community Suggestions
- Neighborhood News and Stories
- Online Forms including:
- Architectural Submission
- Change of Address
- CCR Concern
- Maintenance Request
- Online Payment Options for Assessments
The right community management company will always put the HOA’s best interests first. Remembering this fact is important when communicating with them. By focusing on the greater good, your management company will be building the strongest community it can.
AAM works with many of the largest homebuilding and community development companies in the United States such as Del Webb/Pulte, Shea Homes and Meritage Homes. Founded in 1990, the company employs 370 people and manages nearly 400 homeowners associations in the United States. AAM is dedicated to delivering total peace of mind to the Boards of Directors and homeowners in the communities it manages.